Sign in to follow this  
Sylva

Lore Suggestion - Baltic Strife

image.png.76de496ddf8171240c0809051826af2d.png

So, firstly, I write this without the intrinsic knowledge that @marvolo and @RedFaction have about the server lore. Nevertheless I'm going to give this a shot, based on what we know from the lore so far. This post will be strictly working within the confines of what has been stated - but I know that not all of the lore is public knowledge, and, as such, I may be unknowingly trampling upon what's already been written, but not shared. Nevertheless, without further ado:

PREMONITION
What events in Kaliningrad and the Baltic States preluded the disaster?

Since the fall of the Soviet Union in the 1990s, the chief foreign policy goal of the Russian Federation has been revanchism - obtaining the lands lost to it in the breakup of the August Pustch. This is epitomized in Putin's invasion of Georgia in 2008 and the annexation of the Crimea in 2014, as well as the War in the Donbass that stemmed from the latter. But not all of Russia's former subjects have had the economic growth and political freedom associated with nations like Czechia, Slovakia, Hungary and Poland - a prime example of the opposite is Belarus, or, as the citizens refer to themselves, Belorussia (literally: White Russia)

Originally claimed by the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth in the Middle Ages, Belorussia was exchanged multiple times between Muscovy (the prelude state to the Russian Empire) and Poland, changing hands throughout the years as war came and went. As Prussia and Austria grew in strength in the west, Poland found itself surronded on multiple sides, by an ever-expanding Russia in the east and a belligerent Austro-Hungarian Empire in the west. In a series of three partitions, Russia, Prussia and Austria divided Poland between themselves, with Belarus being annexed into Russia in 1795. With the exception of the immediate aftermath of the First World War, Belarus remained Russian until 1991, with the dissolution of the Soviet Union.

Even in independence, though, the two nations were tied together. Economically they use the same currency and over half of Belarus' electricity comes from Russian power plants. In 1996 the two nations signed the Union State Treaty, and then reaffirmed it a year later. The treaty's intention was to join the two republics into a single nation, but this never came into effect - the two countries still had customs checkpoints between one another until 2010.

So in this lore, I'd like to propose what is already more than likely - with Russia's position in the Black Sea secured thanks to Crimea and the Sevastapol base, its southern underbelly made whole again with the annexation of South Ossetia, Putin and Russia turn their attention towards the Baltic States and the acquisition of a Baltic warmwater port. 

image.png.043bcd8091c976001bb00cc6193b23d5.png

If Russia was to formally annex Belarus, this would effectively close what is known as the "Baltic Corridor" between Poland and Lithuania, isolating the Baltic States to Russian influence, and, perhaps, future annexation of these former Soviet satellites as well. Kaliningrad, a Russian enclave state that in this lore is the seat of the disaster, presents a lore opportunity too interesting, and, in my opinion, obvious, to pass up. In detail, this is what I suggest:

MARCH 2026 - President Alexander Lukashenko and President Vladmir Putin meet in Minsk, Belarus where the framework of the Union State agreement are reviewed. Both states agree to to the original terms of the 1997 agreement, and put them into effect. 

JUNE 2026 - Russian troops, in accordance with the new Union State Agreement, occupy military bases in and around Belarus. 

JULY 2026 - President Lukashenko asks for a referendum regarding the Union State amid political turmoil both domestically and from the European community, scheduled for September.

JULY 2026 - The Belarussian White Legion, a paramilitary and political organization dedicated to upholding Belorussian independence, are labeled a terrorists. Numerous parliament members and supposed sympathizers are arrested in raids across the country after protests against the unification turn violent.

AUGUST 2026 - Protests and counter-protests continue in and around Minsk. 

SEPTEMBER 2026 - The referendum, overseen by the United Nations and European Union, ends with 66% voting for unification.

NOVEMBER 2026 - Alexander Lukashenko is killed in terrorist attack by members of the White Legion.

JANUARY 2027 - U.S. Congress and the North Atlantic Council approve the deployment of an additional 6,000 troops to the Baltic States, 4,000 of which are U.S.

MARCH 2027 - White Legion terrorists continue attacks on Russian targets, including Belarussian "sympathizers." The attacks are not limited to military targets. Numerous training camps in Poland and Lithuania are constructed and maintained. 

APRIL 2027 - Russia demands that NATO take action against the White Legion terrorist camps in eastern Poland and southern Lithuania. NATO makes token efforts with no real success.

MAY 2027 - Russian spetsnaz forces violate Lithuanian sovereignty and destroy three White Legion camps. Both sides ready themselves for conflict.

??? 2027 - Kalingrad disaster.

image.png.712f43c38e4c7196cc7c953a32189835.png

AFTERMATH
What was the disaster and how did it affect Europe?

In SITREP 001, it is stated that the disaster has to do with a Russian nuclear storage facility. Now, there are no ICBM silos inside of Kalingrad because it doesn't make sense to put them there. ICBMS travel "up" and "over" the world, not across - missiles go across the North Pole, both to save on fuel, launch time, and intercept velocity. That's why the US has silos in Montana and Alaska and Kansas, away from population centers and with a close flight distance to Russia. Now - there may not be any silos, but the majority of Russia's arsenal lies in submarines anyway. Russia is building a new class of nuclear submarine as we speak, and if there current rate of construction continues they will likely outnumber the U.S. Navy's submarine fleet in the next decade. The answer is quite a lot. The new Russian Yasen-Class submarine carries enough nuclear payload to wipe out the U.S. East Coast in a single salvo - so, with this being said, what if the disaster wasn't in a facility, but on a ship?

Now, as for the actual disaster - what could go wrong on a Yasen-class submarine? 

Russia has historically had numerous problems with its submarines anyway - NINE of them in the last fifty years - two of which involved the complete loss of the vessel. This could easily repeat itself ten years from now in Bastion's lore, perhaps with some outside help from some unscrupulous characters.

In midsummer 2027, the Russian submarine K-576 'Kaliningrad,' was involved in naval exercises in the Baltic Sea. The Kaliningrad was testing a surface launch of one of its six KH-101 nuclear tipped cruise missiles during inclement weather. The launch protocols proceeded as planned when one of the security locks holding the missile in place malfunctioned, but the launch sequence initiated anyway. The missile lit its ignition but failed to launch, and the built up heat caused an explosion of the remaining rocket fuel inside of the missile. This explosion then blew into the other silo compartments, igniting the rocket fuel on all seven other missiles. While the test missile had no warhead, the remaining seven were equipped with 9.5 megatons each, and all seven proceeded to explode inside of the submarine. This, along with the submarines' reactor, was a force of approximately 67 megatons worth of TNT. This created a fireball 3.2 kilometers wide, and an airblast of nearly thirty three kilometers, making it the largest nuclear detonation in human history. 

The radiation from this explosion was swept southwards by the southerly Baltic winds, and proceeded to coat Germany, Poland, and Czechia in radiation. It spread in the initial outburst as far as the United Kingdom in the west and Minsk in the east. The radiation would make the southern coastline of the Baltic Sea uninhabitable for the next hundred years, as far inland as Berlin. The radiation also killed livestock and devastated agriculture around Europe leading to the a massive famine. The resulting civil unrest, however, would kill even more than the radiation. Almost immediately the norms of geopolitics were thrown out of the window as Europe looked to save itself from its impending destruction. Mass migration southwards, away from the blast and the storms, led Italy to close its borders and France to evacuate its government to Vichy. Romanian soldiers fired at Poles trying to cross the border, Sweden and Norway and Finland moved their governments north, and in the east, Russia moved its western populations southwards and towards the Urals. 

Seeing the desperation of the situation, Moscow entered negotiations with the United States and England about international cooperation to mitigate the disaster. NATO's cold war policies of linking infrastructure and continuation of government policies made it the primary driver of human survival, as the two military alliances, NATO and CSTO, signed an agreement bonding the two together in order to mitigate the disaster. The decision was made to create "bastions," survival safe-zones chosen because of proximity to infrastructure and natural resources. Citizenship inside of the bastions would be dictated on a caste system based on value to society, and would be administered by the military until a proper government could be established.

It was a noble effort. It is certainly true that the worst of times bring out the best of man, as former sworn enemies tried to reconcile for the future of human civilization. But the war they were fighting was against nature itself, and, from the get go, a losing battle. Bastions fell and supplies from America and Russia stopped coming to far flung outposts of civilization.  The lack of food as a result of the agricultural ramifications of the disaster led to widespread cannibalism - so widespread that a violent prion disease known as the New Plague began taking those that had consumed human flesh. A mutated form of rabies that could affect humans, and spread through the consumption of human flesh, the New Plague killed most of those that it affected - but those that weren't were driven to violent aggressiveness building on their cannibalistic tendencies.

Though united in name, and colored on a map, NCC control was limited to the walls of their bastions and the heavily-armed supply convoys that drove between them. Now, 12 years later, Europe as we knew it has lost nearly three fifths of its population and the lands outside of the well-defended bastions are populated with marauding bands of raider survivalists and New Plague victims. 

Okay, so, that's what I've got, I suppose. I'm more than open to feedback, criticism, and suggestions for my suggestion. Cheers.

image.png

image.thumb.png.4773455de25544881bbfb9268f401801.png

I can't seem to edit my posts, but here is a graphic to show the extent of the disaster through my suggestion.

Once again, I'm just posting what I think would make the most sense in accordance with the lore as we know it - which, regrettably, isn't much. But hopefully that will change, and all of this, too, will be open to change and edits as more information is disseminated. 

Edited by Sylva

I really enjoyed this read.

It fills in some gaps and adds some interesting points to the current lore. It additionally provides potential for more flavor for survivors, doctors, and military factions located in that area of the world; hopefully bringing new styles of RP to our server besides the barebones stuff we have all seen in the past.  I am sure Marvolo and RedFaction really appreciate this type of dedication to the community.

Keep up the good work!

19 minutes ago, James said:

I really enjoyed this read.

It fills in some gaps and adds some interesting points to the current lore. It additionally provides potential for more flavor for survivors, doctors, and military factions located in that area of the world; hopefully bringing new styles of RP to our server besides the barebones stuff we have all seen in the past.  I am sure Marvolo and RedFaction really appreciate this type of dedication to the community.

Keep up the good work!

Can't ask for higher praise than that 🙂

Top fucking tier. Good job.

Fuckin A+ my dude love it all and hopefully it will be remembered in game cause this is gonna fill a lot of spaces. As always your the best at making the stories! 

Sylva’s always got a way wit words god damn brother I lost track of time reading this and was late getting back from my break lmao good shit homie!

I believe @marvolo has taken to PMs to discuss this idea further with Sylva. Thank you for the suggestion Sylva!