Cipher

Status Update | 11/17/2019

7wqyZd6.png

Hello, BastionRP community members! This update is not a full-length SITREP; instead, I will be giving you a general overview of where we’re at and where we are headed leading into the New Year.

To start, I’d like to say that I appreciate everyone who has signed up so far, applied for the whitelist, ISF, and/or staff, stuck around the forums and Discord, participated in our first Closed Testng Session, or contributed to the life of BastionRP in any other way. Your support keeps both the project and the people actively developing it going. 🙂

We’ve reached a point in the project’s life cycle where the only major bottleneck is the development of the mods and the custom map, Korolgrad. ZeRoY and RoomService are working hard to develop both of these, and we have onboarded three new developers (Jason, Wardog, and Ted) to speed up development efforts. However, developing this project has been and still is a difficult and time-consuming process. We expected to have a playable build out last month, but as we further explored our goals with the project, we realized that we have set in motion a much larger project with much loftier development requirements than we initially expected. I have no doubt in my mind when I say that this is the most ambitious project in the DayZ modding scene to date. We’re talking a total conversion; a reimagining of what it means to play DayZ. Most of the systems that DayZ is built upon need to be either reworked or totally ripped out and replaced in order for an idea like this to work. With those expectations in mind, we cannot in good faith assign a proper release date to this project. As much as we’d like to work on this full time, the fact of the matter is that this is a side project. Only so much time can be committed to the development of this project on top of our full-time commitments, and short of being funded to the point of working full-time on it, we will defer release of the project until it’s ready.

Which brings me to my final point - our current SITREP schedule is no longer feasible. It is not fair to the developers (who, again, work part-time, some who are unpaid) to try and consistently meet SITREP-worthy milestones, and it is not fair to those who write (or those who read, for that matter) the SITREPs to try and stretch what might only be a few sentences worth of information into a SITREP worth calling a SITREP. In light of this, we have decided to stop the release cycle of two SITREPs per month, and instead release SITREPs as we feel they are ready to come out. When SITREPs do come out, they will be chock full of content and no filler (and perhaps helpful supplementary content, such as SITREP videos). We hope this will give us some breathing room to stop worrying about hitting milestones every fifteen days and instead give us some breathing room to do the best job we can without constraints.

I can already feel potential worry, and I’d like to lay it to rest. We aren’t giving up on the project. We aren’t slowing down development. Everything is continuing as normal. We will be reaching out consistently through the Forums and Discord to answer any questions regarding the project as we progress closer to the next Closed Testing Session and, ultimately, progress towards our final release.

Lastly, I'd like to hear from you guys regarding how to best keep you guys informed on our progress. I realize that many of you have staked a lot on the success of this project. Your support and consistent activity and your financial contributions are what have kept this project, and the dream of revolutionizing DayZ roleplay, alive, and we want to be able to keep everyone in the loop so that your trust remains with us. If you have any suggestions, ideas, anything, please let us know in this thread.

Thanks for reading,

Cipher

17 minutes ago, Cipher said:

I have no doubt in my mind when I say that this is the most ambitious project in the DayZ modding scene to date.

💯

Niko.png.fad1c78abbfa6e3f961146a5edbf4cea.png

Vibe check 

Vibing

It's definitely a good idea not to stretch out unnecessarily short updates to full on sitreps.

What differentiates a successful huge modding project from a failed huge project:

• Iterative development
  • Fail faster
  • Don't have a "big bang integration" at the end (i.e. do CD/CI as early as you can)
  • Continuous testing and feedback gathering from the users
  • Actually listen to the end-users, since something you think is amazing, could turn out to be useless (in practice) for the user

Take it with a grain of salt, but also take it from someone who has had a good solid 3-4 large failed projects in the armaverse, and after those about 2 medium sized successful ones.

If only this game had non-dogshit tools, Im sure progress would be much quicker. 

Thanks for all the hard work guys, Im personally happy to wait for it a good product 🙂

I'm anticipating the release of this. 

Good job so far!

Ngl hyped for the release of this server cant wait to play and test all the things you guys have been working hard on with new and familiar faces 🙂 keep it up guys your doing great!

Edited by WeeMan

sig.png.51d47e103e4de7b1b7408643b69b23cb.png

🤙

An in-depth development roadmap with consistent updates would be great

On 11/18/2019 at 4:17 PM, Charlie said:

An in-depth development roadmap with consistent updates would be great

We've talked about this internally a bit and we are planning on releasing a development roadmap within the next few weeks.