Cipher

SITREP 014 | 11/18/2020 | Time

Bastioneers,

Today is the day of our final SITREP, at least for a while. It is with a heavy heart that we are announcing that the Bastion project is being put on hold indefinitely. I’m sure this news comes as a surprise to many of you, especially considering the relatively “short” amount of time you may have perceived us to have been around for. The reasons for this decision isn’t something we’ve taken lightly, nor is it something we’ve been forced to do. 

In short, we’re burnt out. We’ve been creating all of this for over a year now with little in the way of breaks, and following our Alpha testing, we’ve realized that we still have a ways to go before Bastion is in the state that we want it to be in. There are additional reasons which we’d prefer to keep to ourselves, so I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re a little confused by all this. Note, however, that we’re not saying that Bastion is closed down permanently. It might be back at some point, but if and when that point comes isn’t something we know right now.

We started working on this project in the Summer of 2019. At the time, it was little more than an idea - a pipe dream - something that we’d spoken about for hours and hours. We talked about it so much that our friends started getting pissed off at us. There was little in the way of specifics back then. We had this city in our heads, we had a tyrannical police force and the citizens living beneath them, there was an outside filled with unspecified dangers, and we had a name. Bastion. It had a nice ring to it. We dived head-first into the unknown with the intention of doing something that had never before been done in DayZ. Even from the start, we were way out of our depth.

We knew we needed developers, so I sent out countless messages to a whole bunch in the hopes that anyone might be able to turn our ideas into (virtual) reality. @ZeRoY was the first mapper who seemed both willing and able enough to execute our idea of “the largest city in DayZ”. We didn’t know what this city would look like, we just knew it needed to be big. @RoomService was the first developer who seemed genuinely receptive to our insane ideas. “MultiCharacter” was something we’d all wished was a part of DayZ when we’d roleplayed in the past. We didn’t know how it could be done, but, somehow, he pulled it off. The first of many miracles.

By December 2019, we’d released a total of eight SITREPs. We had our AION, clothes for our ISF, a plethora of various-sized armaments to choose from, the character pages, a new banking system, and a city with an underground that was growing by the day. We had, however, all lost a bit of steam by this point. Six months of working on a project with no server and a tiny community left us all feeling… well, we wondered if it was worth it. Was this actually something that was going to work? Even with the work we’d put in, our concept - the heart of Bastion - still hadn’t been tested. Our team shared this mindset from December to the beginning of February. Progress ground to a halt until, as quickly as we’d disappeared, we were back.

Our first Closed Testing Session lasted for one hour. I wouldn’t go as far to call it a total success, but it certainly wasn’t a failure, either. The second lasted a little longer, but we found issues when civilians mobbed the ISF with wooden spears and, after seizing the ISF’s weaponry, continued their rampage throughout the rest of the city. We returned back to the drawing board a little discouraged, but determined to address these problems - determination we’d only mustered after realizing this concept could actually work (with a little tweaking).

We went almost completely radio silent from February to June. Additional test sessions occurred in April, but we discovered yet more problems that needed fixing. Throughout this time, a lot happened. After contacting some additional developers, the speed at which we were progressing was the fastest it had ever been - @Helkhiana, @Buckeyes, @KyHbKa@Lugge, and @Inkota were invaluable, and following ZeRoY’s departure from mapping, @K-Jackand @marvolo picked up the reigns and devoted themselves fully to that. Following all of this, I felt confident that we could finally get to the point of releasing Bastion’s Alpha testing stage, and the date was set: August 21.

The turnout and support we received was incredible, and far beyond our expectations. To see something we all poured thousands of hours spent thinking, discussing, writing, developing, creating, and recruiting into finally come to fruition after a year (and some change) of work is an amazing feeling in and of itself. To feel the community forming around us, though, while rather necessary for a server such as this, caught us by surprise. The speed at which we gained traction was both alarming and exhilarating. Our signups rocketed into the thousands, and our Discord ballooned into the hundreds of members. It was hard to keep up with everything, especially with development continuing.

It goes without saying, but I love this place - we all do. If nothing else, it is a testament to our determination and will to succeed, even when the odds were so stacked against us. And, we did succeed, for the most part. We’ve already had our fair share of ups and downs - as all communities naturally do - but seeing people come, and play, and talk, and make friends… this made it all worth it. From the very beginning, you, all of you, were the reason we chose to begin this journey. From the bottom of my heart: thank you. Your presence here eased my bad days and made my good days better.

If we never return, once again, thank you for everything. If we do return, hopefully we’ll see you again in the future. Both our Discord and our Forums will remain up for the time being. Don’t be surprised if things slow down, though. We’re not dead (yet), just… in purgatory, for now.

--

The server will be closed tomorrow, November 19th, 2020, at 8PM EST.

Please use this thread to ask any questions you might have about this decision. We will do our best to answer.

Is There A Science To The Perfect Ugly-Cry Face? - MTV

o7

🦋

732649414216253441.png

O7

Good bye friends :(

0xY4EU5.png

It's been a pleasure despite how difficult I was at times. I've been through more ranks than anyone here, on god. 

6757_Sadge.png

unnamed_1_1200x300.thumb.png.6faa5db350f3fca4e005d0c475ae70f4.png

F

o7

108c09e123dfe62db8c1d6cd45a06625.png.d3ebd7943b2425d4868be738d4703e29.png

o7 I suppose.

o7 It's been great boys, see you wherever life takes us from here!

222.thumb.png.719b22a4240cc86b8c5cebced20d5950.png

was fun lads o7

Sad Ice Cream GIF

Really sucks to see this.

a final round of applause to the admins and developers etc who all took a hand in making this project.

Kudos to you all.

Good luck guys

652855861_yassig.png.589820731bfa6427f8bf9d6e812eb6dc.png

o7

Still the coolest on the site

Edited by BUBBZ

F

It was a pleasure helping the server any way that I could. I look forward to see it come back as it is a fantastic idea with amazing people behind it. 

hey guys just remember my password to the forums and ready to hop in game!

If the server had a constant 70 players would this still of been the outcome? or is the lack of players the hard hitting part

Edited by Scott Smithy

0xY4EU5.png

Goodnight sweet prince.

o7

It can't be said enough how incredibly cool it was to see this project come about. Here's hoping this isn't the last we've seen of it.

Its a real bummer

im_with_stupid_pointing_up_t_shirt-r9adcce4e34c14f5aac9be21dab573dd6_jyr6t_307.jpg?rvtype=content

Rip Bastion

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtehhpevdq9WmkYmV0mLqwwNdVbNBh0z4CHg&usqp=CAU

It was a fantastic experience. I am glad I was able to be apart of this awesome project and community. I will never forget my experiences here and all the awesome people I met. I love you all, I love bastionRP and I hope we can see a return in the future.

I remember my first day here at launch. It was the best role play experience I have ever had in my entire life. The months I have spent at bastion has been some of the best times for not only roleplay but gaming in general.  Bastion was absolutely a success no matter how you look at it. It shook the role play/dayz community up and what we have here is really something special. 

Thank you all for playing here, Thank you to the staff team for your countless hours of hard work keeping the community running. Thank you dev team for your countless hours, making the best map on DayZ, making the best gameplay experience I have ever seen. Thank you to absolutely everyone for making the last few months something that will be remembered by anyone who took part in it. 

Bastion will not be forgotten. 

765606207_GoodbyeBastion.thumb.PNG.2ea31b3b241d9c5f645909213d6c5331.PNG

14b99b2669b35d9e89362ef6c5dab69e-png.jpg.8eb6a4fc32990b074b00eb8b8c552d3b.jpg