Riggs

Increase Respawn Timer

I think the respawn timer upon death should be increased. 5 minutes may seem like a long time, but hostile situations usually go on for a lot longer than the respawn timer itself.

I've had instances of people coming back during fights, attempting to kill people once again while the situation is still going on, increasing the timer would stop this from happening as often as it does. As well as making it more difficult for people to break NLR an increase in the respawn time may also make people value their lives more, as they probably don't wanna be sat on a respawn screen for ages.

Let me know what you think, i'm not too sure myself on the exact amount of time

Edited by Riggs

We had this discussion internally yesterday and we decided to increase it to 30 minutes. Let me know if you agree/disagree with this length of time.

Disagree should maybe be 10 mins too if that, some players are newer are won’t want to wait long timer imo 

30 minutes is way to long just ban the people who break the rules.

Yeah 30 minutes is kind of insanely long in my opinion. Even 10 minutes seems long to me but I'd rather settle with that over 30. 

EDIT: I do understand Riggs and Diggy's points as well, but still maybe think 15 minutes would be more sufficed. 

Edited by Cory

Anyone can break NLR, I think the 30 minute timer is more to make people think twice about their actions while entering hostile situations. It makes it so dying actually had a consequence, I don’t really mind it tbh

30 minutes is pretty reasonable considering the chaos going on lately. This will allow people to take a short break and evaluate their decisions in hostile situations. If someone is RDM'd or KOS'd a report can always be made. Realistically, DayZ Chernarus has a built in 30 minute timer as most of the action and RP takes place up north. With the Bastion being small and chaotic, I think 30 minutes is a good amount of time.

FDbpicW.png

I do not have the opportunity to play for long periods of time, usually no more than 2 hours. If I died while I was able to play, then I would lose 1/4 of my total play time. I understand this this is specific to me but perhaps there are others with similar situations.  I personally think 5 minutes is long enough but would be willing to settle for 10.

30 Minutes will honestly push people to value their lives a lot more. Lot of NVFL going on from what I have seen, can definitely see this decreasing that by a good bit.

222.thumb.png.719b22a4240cc86b8c5cebced20d5950.png

Yeah, based. 

if you die , your character should delete immediately

thin the ranks , clean up the slums

I DO NOT agree with 30min. This would push me to not even want to try and log back in at all if I got randomly killed. 5min is plenty long enough.

I value my characters life, don't punish me just because someone else may not.

Btw: I'm unable to record. Trying in the past has gotten me killed from how bad my FPS drop.

DO IT, PLS GOD DO IT

I think 30 minutes is good, it will stop people from rushing into situations, and make them think about their actions. No more running at ISF with a hammer :D

6 hours ago, tosstheball said:

30 minutes is way to long just ban the people who break the rules.

I'm for both parts  of this debate. Yeah, we can just ban the shitters and spend a lot of time on handling the report side. Or we can just hand-hold trouble makers so they /cant/ break the rules. 

I'm for either

I mean personally I think like 15 minutes is more than enough. If I died and had to wait 30 minutes to continue playing, I would probably just end up logging off and not getting back on. I can understand where people are coming from but I think meeting in the middle and setting it to 15 minutes is perfect and if someone ends up running back after their 15 minute timer then that person can report it. There is a lot of good recording software out there that doesnt hit your performance super hard. I personally use Medal which doesnt hit my performance at all from when im not running it and it allows you to save up to 2 minutes back which yeah isnt a lot but 2 minutes is 2 minutes so.

I agree with 30 minutes being way too long. I have played on Arma 3 life servers that have had 10 minute respawn timers and that worked perfectly fine for them. Even 15 minutes would he appropriate if staff is worried about people not respecting NVL/NLR. 10 minutes is a long time to wait to respawn, especially in a game like this where there is usually something going on all the time and it sucks there to sit and wait longer than needed. 

Please keep in mind his is still our alpha release. We need to experiment with different systems to see what the outcome is, this is how we make incremental improvements.

If we don't try new things we wont know whether or not a change is beneficial. If it's not, we iterate and change it again until we get the balance just right.

I don't mind the 30 minute timer tbh. Adds consequence to people trying to be idiots. There has been far too much NVFL, this will make them care.

I voiced my opinion during the first talk and I'll post it here. I'm fine with starting the timer at 30 minutes as a test run. and I'll explain why below. 

The pros of a 30 minute timer are obvious. 

• Stop people from running towards shots or situations. 
  • Making people value their lives more. 
  • Causing people to plan their robberies instead of just going around beating people up. 
  • Will decrease the sub-par RP going on due to there being no real consequence to their actions. 

The biggest con to me is

• Punishing the people who get killed from a rule break.

Right now we have a different way to play DayZ. Unlike other servers we do not have a real punishment for dying. In other communities you have an entire map and if you die your punishment is ending back up on the coast and having to reloot and make your way back to the RP hot spots. That helps other communities deal with the NVFL and the NLR  because they had a punishment that is already implemented into the game, you end up on the beach.  We do not have that here on Bastion. You die, you end up right back in the middle of town and able to get anywhere within minutes. We need to have a balance. 

Which brings me back to why I say to start the 30 minutes as a test run. If it in fact shows improvement on the way people RP and value their lives we can turn it down to 20 or 15. We also brought up the fact of setting timers to different citizens classes which, if possible, could also be a fix in the future. 

Y87c0JW.png

I like the idea of different respawn times for different civ classes. It would encourage people to go out and collect points which is nice rather than everyone just dicking around in the Slums.

48 minutes ago, NotMartha said:

I like the idea of different respawn times for different civ classes. It would encourage people to go out and collect points which is nice rather than everyone just dicking around in the Slums.

+1

58 minutes ago, NotMartha said:

Cool idea, but I don't think a meta mechanic should be intertwined with an in game mechanic. Unless somebody proposes a way to explain it IC without it not making sense.

I just think we should spawn people with injuries if they die(if possible.) Or just keep the death timer to 10 minutes and instantly up it to like 30 if they die a 2nd time within the hour. So now people are not royally bored. Overall I think death and conflict are pretty avoidable, just don't go to the slums and you have a pretty high likelihood of survival. Then this would punish people who are running around crunching people right after they die without any value for their life or injuries would prevent them from just getting into a fight and might encourage them to go see a medic. Still role-playing their lost memory of course.

kUWd10k.png

1 hour ago, NotMartha said:

I strongly disagree with this. I do not want to be forced to roleplay as a 'proper' civilian, which is what this would force. If I want to become a drug dealer and risk losing a ton of civilian points, that should have IC consequences and not result in me having to wait longer to play if I were to die. Dealing with rulebreakers must be done in an OOC fashion.

it should be 20 minutes for first death and if the die a second time within 30 minutes of respawn then increase the time to 30 and so on